Being a beginner in a discipline is not always easy. Being a beginner in yoga is no exception to this. So I take this article to share some tips and advice for beginner yogis.
- Don’t compare yourself to others: this is one of the biggest mistakes almost all of us make when we’re still just budding yogis. Remember that we all have different backgrounds, and we don’t all leave with the same ease, or difficulty.
- Breathe: without breathing, there is no progression, nor yoga.
- Practice for you: during your yoga session, do not look at the yogis around you. You are not there to perform, but to do yourself good (physically and/or psychologically).
- Disconnect your phone: eliminate sources of distraction during your sessions. If you take an online course, you know the time to practice. So you don’t need to have your phone next to you. A notification could distract you and you would lose all the benefits of your practice.
- Listen to your body: respect its limits and pay attention to the sensations and messages it sends you.
- Don’t focus on your flexibility (or your stiffness): you don’t need to be flexible to do yoga. On the other hand, you can become flexible through yoga.
You now have all my tips for getting started in yoga. I hope you too will join the yogi community. One of the most important things about getting the most out of the benefits of yoga is not to get frustrated. Be grateful for what your body allows you to do. And if you feel like you’re getting away from it all, so much the better. Your room for improvement will only be greater. Take pleasure in all the movements you do, and you will see that soon you will not be able to do without yoga. If you want to go further, I invite you to browse the other articles on my blog. In case you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask them in a comment.